Lygia Banhos Group
It is made up of a tireless group that helps various needy segments of the Community through home visits, distribution of food baskets, etc. It has been in regular operation since 1971. Today, dozens of young people and parents connected to the Mansion of the Way go to the shantytowns (favelas) to spread God's word, tutor, distribute medicine, organize home building projects, distribute donated goods and live side by side with our needy brothers. The integration of the young people of the Mansion with those in the Community is impressive. Little by little, the young people from the Community are drawn to participate in the Project. Educational walks and demonstrations against violence are activities of great impact but which are organized with happiness and a sense of citizenship by the young people. Today, mothers from the shantytowns (favelas) meet to discuss their problems and to give support to the work that is multiplying on a daily basis.
Here are some of the Group's accomplishments:
• Provides weekly assistance, in the community, to needy families in the neighborhoods of Pau da Lima and São Marcos
• Develops evangelical, recreational, and educational activities with the children, adolescents and adults.
• Visits the elderly and the sick
• Promotes fraternization and integration of the members of the community on Mother's Day, Saint John's Day, Father's Day, Walk for Peace, Children's Day and Christmas
• Distributes food baskets on Mother's Day, Saint John's Day and Christmas
• Maintains a community pharmacy for the free distribution of medicine
• Maintains a library for the young people of the community
• Sets up fund-raising bazaars
• Promotes various festivals with the objective of raising funds for the maintenance of the Group's activities
Right now, the Community Living School is in its last phase of completion, on Rua do Ouro in Pau da Lima. The school will be able to house, within one space, the array of activities that are presently carried out at various sites.
You are welcome to work with us in this project of labor, collaboration and love. We meet every Saturday, at 2:00 p.m. on the first floor of the meeting center of the Pathway to Redemption Spiritist Center in Pau da Lima.